Thursday, November 1, 2012

An Asheville Dream

I wonder when it happened for you? I sit alone in a crowded room with what seems to be a dark spotlight around me, while the rest of the room glows with a radiant yellow. I wish that you would please just open up and tell me your secrets. I crave to understand why you decided to live the way that you do. You look into my eyes as if already understanding my soul. I feel as if I am sitting in front of you naked in my adolescence and vulnerable in every sense of the word. I stand up and float across the room leaving a trace of empathy in my wake. I approach the spirit of the night and feel it run through my veins as it warms up my body in all the right ways. I feel your glances resting upon my back as if they were your longing arms yearning to wrap around, trying to hold me close. You stand across the room from me with no intentions to follow through. I look into a living room full of eager and youthful souls all being artists in their own medium. It's almost to much to handle, as the night dances around with no rhythm or rhyme just like the stories that I am so eager to write out. 

I slide open the door to the towering trees above and immediately am calmed by the vastness that I am surrounded by everyday. I take a deep breathe of the crisp air and feel the precipitation resting in my lungs. The night is clear with a calm breeze rolling over the tops of the trees. The stars seem to be hiding on this night giving off a dull glare as if you had just got done rubbing your eyes. The moon though is bragging, giving the sun a run for it's money with the light it is casting down on me. The trees help me escape from my worries and struggles. They stand there reminding me of my brothers that can only be compared to this organic portrait of life. A sudden growth in our lives that was nourished by literature and a new understanding of the earth. The time for myself and this canvas that is laid out in front of me is almost at an end, it whispers goodbye to me as I convince myself that I will hold on to this night, never to be forgotten.

The door slides open with a backdrop of laughter and music interrupting silence that was wrapping around me. You look at me and just your body posture alone is asking me the questions that your so afraid to speak. You forgot to close the door behind you so the music is breaking up what would have been a powerful silence. Why do I put myself through this? I long to be a romantic but lack the understanding of what that truly means. I quickly gather myself and rise to my feet not yet ready to share this night with anyone else. I follow you inside and the night remains alive with grinning faces and feet beating up the floor to the music that is blaring from all around. It's time to say good night for now. It's time to close this door behind me and await the big mistake that lays waiting for me just around the corner. 

No comments:

Post a Comment