Monday, August 29, 2011

Compass Required

Wandering wildly wondering will this constant race continue running through my mind. I lay awake at five in the morning forcing myself to fall back asleep but to no avail. I rustle around upstairs trying to make as little noise as possible, but it seems as if the house has it out for me creaking and cracking with every gentle step that I take. Quickly, I put on my clothes as if I am running away from a mistake that can only be masked by the rapidly approaching dawn. I gather the essentials which includes my computer, a notebook, Desolation Angels and two eager legs that seem to be running the show. The door slams loudly behind me and I am greeted by empty streets and the cool cover of darkness.

My footsteps start carrying me down these dangerously inviting streets. I am walking in the emptiness of this town with nothing stirring around me except for the natural world. Squirrels approach with the curiosity of a young child while the trees above breathe up yet another day in a life that is only just beginning. Funny to think about. There is a blissful feeling knowing no one is watching you or wondering what you are doing. It's to early for anybody else to care, it's just me and the darkness and now I wonder what it would be like if the sun decided not to rise today?

The sun is starting to creep up over these rolling mountain tops not yet giving off the true heat of the day. I climb up a small mountain and finda rocky that has been waiting for this moment since it first started forming. Is this rock here for me or am I here for it? Whatever the case may be I am surrounded by glowing yellow flowers which are set off by its red neighbor. I am looking down over this little town and still no one is up or about. The sky is still dark but I can see the stars saying their goodbyes as they fade away, never to be seen like this again on this cool crisp August morning. The sun now shines low to the East and has brightened up these flowers but that good ole rock and me are still in the shadows of the morning.

The flowers start my day better than anything else could. They catch the light and one can almost feel the love and struggle of life they all share. The sun that these flowers are bathing in I am now trying to hide from. There is no subtle transition from the cool crisp morning to the heat of the day. I walk down back to the streets and continue trudgin down the road. I look down the road and wonder where it ends. How easy would it be to just start walking, to hitch hike to the great ends of America. To find a desolate mountain and be by myself for a little while. An escape from the constant worries that we create for ourselves that soon become the laws that we have to live by and are chained to. A solitude that I ache for but can't grasp. Only small parts of these streets will know my footsteps.

I approach the town that is now alive, people picking up right where they left off. Some waking up with mistakes right next to them while others just go through their mundane routines. I am lost in a town that has only three main streets. This town cries out for new beginnings but is trapped in a constant state of limbo. My inner mind dissects every little thing that my senses pick up. Walking alone in this town for awhile now, I'm really not sure where to turn.

No comments:

Post a Comment